Though exams give us jitters at times, they are staircases of our success. They bring us closer to our dreams and aspiration and help us to secure a bright future. One such exam is the PTE test, an English proficiency test that turns your dreams to study abroad into a reality.
What is the PTE Exam?
PTE or Pearson Test of English is a computer-based English proficiency test. Launched in the year 2009. The test certifies non-native English speakers to have the basic and advanced knowledge of the English language. The test is basically divided into four sections to test reading, writing, listening, and speaking ability of the aspirant. In some questions, the test checks two skills at a time as well.
What is the most essential requirement for the PTE test?
As it is a completely computer-based online test, you need to have basic computer skills to attempt the test. There are various steps where you need to have basic to advanced computer operating skills along with know-how of using extra electronic accessories. For instance, in the speaking module, you would be requiring a headset to perform the test.
All your answers will be recorded by the computer on the spot. So, any mishandling or lack of knowledge about handling the headset might bleak your chances to clear the exam. In the same manner, in the writing module, you have to type all your answers. There are various essay-type answers in this section.
To complete the test on time and score high, you need to have a good typing speed. So, having good computer knowledge and expertise is one of the most essential elements that any aspirant would be requiring to score 79+ in the PTE exam.
The PTE Exam pattern and format
PTE Test comes in three versions.
- The PTE- Academic- It’s for those scholars who wish to study abroad and immigration purposes.
- PTE- General Training- It is for non-academic purposes.
- PTE- Young Learners – This test the English proficiency of children.
Exam duration: 3 hours
In those three hours duration, a candidate has to cover four modules.
- Speaking and Writing- These two modules are covered in a single test which usually lasts for 77-93 minutes. In this section, the candidate has to go through various test phases like reading aloud, personal introduction, repeat the sentence, and writing an essay. The module is basically designed to test your academic skills in the English language.
- Reading – This module has been designed to test your reading skills in the English language. The test usually lasts for 32-41 minutes and contains MCQ, fill in the blanks, and re-order the paragraph.
- Listening – This module determines the level of expertise of the candidate in the ability to listen to the English language properly. To analysis it, the modules contains various questions in MCQ, fill in the blanks, select missing word, highlight an incorrect word and write from dictation format. The allotted time duration of this module is 47-57 minutes.
The PTE test is known to give the near-to-perfect and accurate snapshot of the candidate’s performance in the test and grade the candidate over a scale of 10-90. Here, 10 is the lowest mark and 90 is the highest. The score report precisely displays the candidate performance in each module followed by each section. It comes in a graph form and clearly displays the candidates’ core skills in the English language along with the improvement areas. It also analyses sub-skills and enabling the skills of the aspiring candidate.
The scoring is based on the correctness or incorrectness of the answers. There is no negative marking for wrong answers. All the PTE online Test scoring is machine-based and solely depends upon the correctness of the answers. Based on the scoring scale, the test determines the candidate’s ability to speak, read, and writing ability in the English language.
How and when to take the PTE test?
Well, getting enroll for a PTE exam is as easy as clapping to appear for the exam. All you need to do in to register yourself online over the official website of the PTE exam and create an account. Upon successful registration, you need to choose the nearest PTE exam center. Decide the date and timing of the test as per your convenience and availability of the seat at the exam center. Once you got the convenient date and timing, proceed with paying the fees and finalize your booking.
More than 50 countries around the world make arrangements for the PTE test. PTE examination centers are available in multiple cities of each of these countries.
You can enroll and appear for a PTE exam at any time of the year. There is no set or the particular exam date for the PTE exam as it can be conducted on any date and time as per the exam center’s availability and convenience.
Who all can take the test?
To take the PTE Academic test, the candidate should be of a minimum of 16 years of age.
Who all accepts the PTE exam?
Though the PTE exam is the relatively new entrant in the list of language proficiency tests, it has gained much recognition across the world. Various prestigious educational institutions across the world like INSED, Yale, and Harvard Business School accepts the PTE test. In addition, an Australian and New Zealand government also seeks a PTE scorecard to grant visa purposes for non-native speakers.
PTE Exam Fee
The exam fee for the PTE exam is AUD $340 (or US $200) at the time of writing of this article. However, it keeps on varying. One suggestion here – While buying PTE vouchers for the payment of exam fees, always go for reliable and certified resellers only.
Why you should go to the PTE Test?
PTE exam is one of the most dependable and reliable English proficiency tests recognized globally. There are various benefits to go for a PTE exam.
- It allows you to appear the exam at your convenience.
- It provided accurate results.
- It’s accepted by various leading universities.
- The result is available within five days after attempting the exam.
Any more questions or you are ready for preparing for PTE Exam?
If questions, ask us through your comments and if you need a quick and effective method of preparation, consider joining 79score.com platform instead of wasting your time anywhere else.